First Cumberland Presbyterian Church is part of a connectional denomination called Cumberland Presbyterian. The Cumberland Presbyterian denomination finds its place in American history beginning in the early 1800s during the Great Revival in the Cumberland Plateau region of Kentucky and Tennessee.

During that time, people by the thousands would travel for days in order to attend revival meetings held under crude structures of hay supported by wooden poles. These “brush arbor meetings,” as they were called, were a place for people to hear the Gospel message, many for the first time. Many people committed their lives to Christ, and as a result many new Christians were in the area with few ministers to meet their needs. In response to the spiritual awakening in their area, Finis Ewing, Samuel McAdow and Samuel King joined together to form the Cumberland Presbytery. Before the three ministers, little progress was made organizing clergy on the frontier. In 1829, with establishment of the General Assembly and considerable growth within the presbytery, Cumberland Presbyterian Church was born.

Spreading the Gospel message across the frontier was a challenge in the mid1880s, but the Cumberland Presbyterians continued to move West with American expansion. Along the way the Church established schools and colleges, a theological school located in Memphis as well as a home for children. Missionaries were commissioned across the United States and, as the Church grew, to foreign countries. It also made historical strides as it ordained the first woman in the Presbyterian denomination – Louisa Woosley, who was ordained in 1889.

Cumberland Presbyterians continue to concern themselves with spreading the message of salvation through Jesus Christ to new frontiers. They are committed to community outreach and meeting social needs. More information on Cumberland Presbyterians as well as Confessions of Faith are available on the official Cumberland Presbyterian Web site, http://www.cumberland.org.